Wednesday, August 20, 2008

State Fair - Cowgirl Queen and Steer Show








I can't believe August is already here and it is State Fair time! On the 8th, we headed down in the morning for the Cowgirl Queen contest. I had the day to walk around, see the fair, and meet my steer for the Governor's Celebrity Steer Show. Soon enough, it was time for me to start getting ready for the Cowgirl Queen contest. Aleigh rode Tank in for the National Anthem, then I jumped on to warm him up. I happened to be in the third go of the senior division, so I had a while to wait. I had a chance to visit with a lot of the crowd sitting out side watching all of the gorgeous girls warming up their horses. They helped pass my time! Once we got to go in, Tank did an amazing job! I couldn't been more proud of him, we picked up the correct leads, had a pretty and slow trot, and had a decent head set! I didn't make the cut, but there were tons of great girls, and great riders. After that was all over, I went and stayed with my sister in West Des Moines. Saturday I got up bright and early to head back to the fairgrounds. I walked around for awhile, met the family I was showing the steer for, and headed to the Iowa Horse Council booth to sign autographs and visit with people. After I changed into what I was wearing to show, we went and visited with everyone around the biggest bull and celebrity steers. I even got to help 'fit' the steer, O'Malley. Next thing I know we were walking into the pavillion, with just me holding a 1400 pound steer in one arm and a pink show stick in the other! O'Malley did awesome! Everyone was surprised I have never shown a steer, let alone led one before! I was so confident in my showing skills, and it paid off when I was announced Showmanship winner. That was my proudest moment this summer! I couldn't wipe the smile off my face even once I was out of the show arena. Congrats to all of the other celebrities showing! I am glad to report that the sale, benefiting the Ronald McDonald House foundations, did so well! It was such an awseome experience!

No comments: